RTR didn’t just add “2024” to our fitment guide like the rest of the market. In 2015, every RTR Tactical Performance Suspension component was meticulously tested when the S550 Mustang debuted. With the release of the S650 Mustang, our engineering team went back to the track to ensure that each component of our RTR Tactical Performance suspension line not only fits, but functions and performs to our demanding standards.
Why Choose RTR Tactical Performance Suspension for your S650 Mustang?
There’s a stark difference when you choose RTR Vehicles. While most aftermarket retailers might offer individual suspension components, RTR is revolutionizing the landscape by delivering a complete suspension package. The RTR Tactical Performance Suspension components are meticulously crafted to function in perfect harmony, whether as a complete suspension package or as standalone components.
This cohesiveness isn’t just about ensuring parts fit together. It’s about enhancing the S650 Mustang’s performance on the racetrack while ensuring that everyday drivability isn’t compromised. For Mustang owners, this translates to adrenaline-pumping track days and smooth drives around town.
Pushing the Limits: Suspension Validation Testing with Billy Johnson
The RTR Engineering team took our 2024 Ford Mustang RTR Spec 2 out to NCCAR (North Carolina Center for Automotive Research) to test and validate our RTR Tactical Performance Suspension components. We are fortunate to have the expertise of professional driver, Billy Johnson, who has been a development driver for Ford Motor Company and Multimatic Motorsports during the validation stages of the Shelby GT350/R, 2016 Ford GT, Ford GT GTE/GTLM, Mustang GT4, FP350S, and the 2020 GT500.
We took to the track with Billy behind the wheel of our 2024 Mustang GT in both stock and Mustang RTR Spec 2 trims. His expertise and invaluable feedback allowed us to perfect our RTR Tactical Performance Suspension components based on real-world testing. This testing, combined with nearly 20,000 street miles, allows RTR to offer its customers specific suspension settings for the Seventh-Generation Mustang—something no other company outside of Ford can claim.
The following components were tested:
RTR Tactical Performance Suspension
- RTR Tactical Performance Lowering Springs
- RTR Tactical Performance Adjustable Front Struts
- RTR Tactical Performance Adjustable Rear Shocks
- RTR Tactical Performance Adjustable Front and Rear Swaybars
RTR Flow Formed Wheels
- RTR Flow Formed wheel 20×9.5 and 20×10.5
- Nitto NT555 G2 Tires 275/35/20 555, 305/30/20 and 315/30/20
Our ‘24 Mustang RTR Spec 2 is built upon a Mustang GT Performance Package. The testing began with a baseline test where everything on the Spec 2 was returned to OEM suspension and the factory wheel and tire setup. ( Pirelli 255/40/19 tires and 19×9 and 19 x 9.5 wheels ) The RTR Tactical Performance Suspension components were installed as testing progressed throughout the day. We compared the full RTR suspension package against the OEM setup. The primary objective was to observe the impact on lap times and driving dynamics.
Below is the suspension validation test plan that the RTR Engineering team laid out for the day.
– Alignment baseline: Verify alignment and record for later comparison
– Test 1 : Baseline testing as delivered with 255/40/19 Continental Contact tires on
stock 19×9 / 19×9.5 wheels front and rear respectively.
– Test 2 : Baseline testing with 275/35/20 Nitto NT555 G2 on RTR 20 x 9.5 wheels
– Test 3 : Baseline testing with 305/30/20 front , 315/30/20 rear Nitto NT555 G2 on RTR 20 x 10.5 wheels
– Realign, lowered spring height and factory dampers
– Test 4 : Baseline testing with RTR lowering springs installed
– Test 5 : Testing on 305/30/20 Front , 315/30/20 Rear Nitto 555 G2 (20 x 10.5” wheel).
– Realign, lowered spring height and RTR adjustable dampers
– Test 6 : Added RTR shocks and validated in recommended settings
– Test 7 : Repeat test 6, adjusted front damper
– Test 8 : Repeat test 7, adjusted front damper
– Test 9 : Add adjustable front and rear swaybars (option 1), baseline in “recommended” position
– Test 10 : Changed front swaybar to firmest position
– Test 11 : Test option 2 of the front and rear sway bars. Firmest setting on the front, middle setting on the rear.
– Test 1 2 : Test car at limit to verify stability in wet conditions
– Test 1 3 : Optimize lap times on option 2 front and rear adjustable sway bars. Several sway bar adjustments were made during this testing phase to find the optimal settings
Unveiling Impressive Results
The outcomes were nothing short of impressive. The inclusion of the RTR Tactical Performance Suspension package reduced nearly two seconds off the lap time around NCCAR and we didn’t stop there. Upgrading to wider RTR Flow Formed Wheels (20×10.5) and Nitto NT555 G2 tires (305/30/20 front and 315/30/20 rear) sliced an additional 1.2 seconds off the final lap time. Such improvements are a testament to our commitment to performance.
Elevate Your 2024 Mustang with RTR Suspension
The adaptability and versatility of the RTR suspension components truly set them apart from every competing product on the market. Whether integrated together as a system for an unparalleled driving experience or utilized as standalone components to fit each customer’s specific wants and needs, its adjustability caters to every driver’s unique style, no matter how they use their Mustang.
Are You Ready to Rock?
After all of the suspension validation tests were complete, we made purposeful adjustments to our existing components, guaranteeing a precise fit, flawless functionality, and increased performance on any S550 or S650 Ford Mustang! RTR’s extensive development and validation testing allows us the unique ability to offer chassis-specific suspension setting recommendations based on real-world testing with both chassis’.
Equip your 2015-2024 Ford Mustang with RTR Tactical Performance Suspension to experience an exhilarating driving experience for yourself. Our RTR Tactical Performance Suspension components don’t just promise better handling and performance – we deliver it. You can elevate your 2024 Ford Mustang with proven suspension components that merge street-friendly driving characteristics with track-ready aggression. Check them out at Mustang Motorsport, the RTR Vehicles Australia Distributor.